From healthcare organizations and financial institutions to manufacturing facilities and executive offices, there are few industries in the world that can survive without the support of administrative assistants. Administrative professionals typically have a vast range of job responsibilities, and their contributions to the workplace are invaluable.
There are certain qualities that a great administrative assistant should have:
- Strong computer and technical skills
- Proven organizational and project management skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
These qualities seem simple enough to understand. But as an employer, how do you effectively identify those qualities when interviewing candidates? It starts with asking the right questions. Below are some of our team’s favorite questions to ask when interviewing CT administrative assistants.
Ask targeted questions that reveal a candidate’s understanding of and proficiency in software programs, operating systems, social media and other technology that is used in your organization:
- What are two types of technology that are indispensable in your job? Why?
- We use [software program] at our company. What do you know about this program, and how have you used it?
Regardless of how a candidate answers these questions, it’s important to always validate a candidate’s proficiency with skills assessments.
Determine how well a candidate can organize and prioritize work.
- How do you plan your time each day? Each week?
- How do you prioritize multiple tasks when you have little time left in your afternoon to complete them?
Ask a scenario-based question, specific to your organization’s available position, that requires the candidate to explain how she would accomplish a particularly-complex project.
It’s important to identify individuals who are not only articulate but are also very good listeners.
- How do you handle challenging clients or internal customers?
- Explain a complex project you recently participated in. What was your role?
- In what areas are you truly an expert?
The last question has less to do with experience and is more about the candidate’s ability to explain how and why they’re an expert at something.
Look for evidence that a candidate is enthusiastic about supporting others within an organization.
- How do you stay motivated when you’re assigned mundane or repetitive work?
- What do you enjoy most about working in a support role?
- What attracted you to the administrative field?
There’s no doubt that choosing the right administrative assistant can take your team from good to great! Use these questions to identify superstars who can keep your company running smoothly, every day.
A.R. Mazzotta has the experience and resources – including skills assessments – to verify candidates’ abilities and help you hire the best administrative professionals in CT! Contact us to learn more about our direct hire services for administrative staff.