Have you ever been fired from a job? How did you handle it?
The reasons for getting fired from your place of employment are endless, but there are a few common reasons why it happens:
- High absenteeism
- Poor work performance
- Not able to get along with co-workers
- Drug/alcohol use
- Misconduct on social media (This is a hot topic these days. An employee may post a comment a social media that gets her in hot water, or might be ‘exposed’ in some way on social media for bad behavior that leads to job termination. Bottom line – watch what you say and do on social media).
So if you’ve ever been fired, let’s hope you survived the experience and have moved on to bigger and better things in life. And if you’ve never been fired, good for you. But remember, there’s a first time for everything, right?
Follow these tips for what NOT to do if you get fired from a job:
- Freak Out – Don’t let your emotions get the best of you and make a scene at work when you get the news. Keep your cool. If you need to get your emotions out, wait to do it in private and away from the workplace.
- Make Threats – Don’t threaten your boss, your co-workers, or anyone else who might cross your path after you’re fired.
- Think It’s the End of the World – People get fired and lose their jobs every day. It’s not the end of the world. In fact, many notable individuals achieved their fame and fortune after getting fired from a job. A few famous names include Oprah Winfrey, Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, Robert Redford and Jerry Seinfeld.
- Lose Touch with Co-Workers – It’s a small world out there, so don’t lose touch with those co-workers who you were on good terms with. They might be a helpful resource down the road as a reference or a job lead. You just never know.
If it’s time to look for a new job – because you recently lost one, or because you’re just ready to explore a new employment opportunity – A.R. Mazzotta can help. Browse our current job listings or contact us to be connected with one of our helpful, expert recruiting specialists.