On March 8, 2013, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released a new Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9.
The Form I-9 is used to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. Employers are required to complete Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the U.S.
Here are the key changes in the new version of the form:
- new data fields, including the employee’s foreign passport information (if applicable), phone number and email address;
- expanded form instructions; and
- revised form layout, increasing the paper form from one to two pages.
60-Day Grace Period
Employers should begin using the new Form I-9 immediately; however, the USCIS recognizes that some employers may need additional time to update their business processes to allow for using the new form (especially those using electronic Forms I-9). For this reason, employers can continue to use the previous versions of the Form I-9 (Rev. 08/07/09 and Rev. 02/02/09) for 60 days after the new Form I-9 release date.
This means you must start using the form no later than May 7, 2013.
Tips for CT HR Professionals
Here are a few ideas for ensuring a smooth transition to using the new form:
- Assign a point person (or team) to spearhead the transition to the new form.
- Familiarize your staff with the new version and ensure everyone understands the requirements for each section as they relate to the regulations.
- Identify aspects of your business processes which may need to be revised, to accommodate the new form’s features.
- If you use the electronic form, partner with your software developers to ensure smooth implementation of the new form by May 7, 2013.
A.R. Mazzotta’s E-Verify Program Means Screened, Authorized Employees for You
A.R. Mazzotta was founded on the principle of providing employment services of the finest quality and unsurpassed customer service. Simply put, we are committed to the communities in which we work and live.
We choose to participate in E-Verify, a voluntary federal program for employers that validates social security information and employment authorization. This internet-based service verifies that a new employee is who he says he is and that he has the right to work in this country.
Why do we use E-Verify? To make staffing simpler and safer for you. When we send you temporary employees, rest assured they are thoroughly screened and authorized to work for your organization. Want to learn more? Contact A.R. Mazzotta today.