What’s VUCA – a new energy drink? Computer virus? Clothing designer?
While you may not be familiar with the term “VUCA,” you’re definitely familiar with the impact it has had on your business. VUCA is an acronym for an environment that is dominated by:
- Volatility – where things change rapidly but not predictably;
- Uncertainty – where the past is not an accurate predictor of the future (and therefore preparing for “what’s around the corner” is extremely difficult);
- Complexity – where countless causes and mitigating factors complicate problems;
- Ambiguity – where the causes (i.e., who, what, where, when, how and why) behind events are often unclear.
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the last five years, you know how chaotic our business and economic conditions have been. In a recent ERE.net article, Dr. John Sullivan examines the impact VUCA has had on today’s recruiting and workforce management.
The concept of managing under chaos is not new. Throughout history, we’ve had numerous periods of social, economic and political upheaval which have created highly unstable business conditions. But while these periods of uncertainty eventually resolved themselves, most business, economic and political leaders have realized that today’s VUCA environment is now a permanent condition.
According to Sullivan, talent managers, HR and recruiting professionals must develop new ways to survive in a VUCA environment. Traditional models of talent acquisition and management simply cannot work, because they are not versatile enough to accommodate the rapid and unpredictable changes in business.
To truly thrive, you need to develop “agile models” that prepare your workforce for major disruptive events by providing a wider range of options/solutions. Additionally, these models must also include the processes and systems that can actually shift and handle any unpredicted upcoming event “just-in-time.” Bottom line, you must be prepared to handle unforeseen workforce events and conditions that literally nobody thought of in advance.
Staffing and recruiting services, like those offered by A.R. Mazzotta Employment Specialists, can help you meet the challenges of today’s unpredictable business environment. We help Connecticut employers like you successfully manage volatility with:
- Contingent labor – by using temporary and contract employees as a significant part of your workforce, you increase your capability to meet sudden upturns, downturns and new skill needs. The flexibility contingent labor provides helps you operate cost-efficiently, while still maintaining the ability to capitalize on new business opportunities.
- Rapid talent acquisition – we can work with you to develop detailed position specifications, before hiring needs arise. When the time comes, our knowledge of your requirements and deep talent pool will provide quicker access to top candidates who are ready to perform for your business.
The one constant in today’s business world? Rapid change. Thankfully, A.R. Mazzotta is prepared to help you manage the “new normal” of today’s VUCA environment.