Manufacturing Day 2017 is slated for this week – October 6th. This annual event, also known as MFG DAY, is celebrated throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico and has gained much popularity since its inception in 2012.
Here’s a quick snapshot of what MFG DAY is all about and what it offers to manufacturers, youth and job seekers.
- MFG DAY is a celebration of modern manufacturing that’s meant to inspire the next generation of manufacturers. The event takes place the first Friday in October.
- The event is designed to amplify the voice of individual organizations and coordinate a ‘collective chorus’ of manufacturers with common concerns and challenges – one of the biggest being a skilled labor shortage.
- MFG DAY was started by Founding Partner Fabricators Association, International. It is currently produced by the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) with support from the Manufacturing Institute (MI) and the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP).
- On October 6th, manufacturers invite students, educators, businesspeople, media and politicians to their facilities to help educate their audience about manufacturing careers and improve public perception about manufacturing.
- This year, over 2,600 events are planned worldwide – an increase of over 1,000% since MFG DAY started in 2012!
- The state of Connecticut will play host to 27 events this year – up a few from last year. And while some manufacturers are hosting invitation-only events, many have events open to anyone. Public participants include Dymotek Corporation in Ellington; Holo-Krome in Wallingford; Industrial Heater Corp in Cheshire; Jacobs Vehicle Systems in Bloomfield; Leggett & Platt in Middletown; Marion Manufacturing in Cheshire; Mastercam in Tolland; TRUMPF in Farmington; Wepco Plastics in Middlefield. Details for each of these events can be found on the MFG DAY website.
Like many states, CT is deeply impacted by the skilled labor shortage that manufacturers are facing. To stay competitive and successful, companies need to have a trained workforce with the right skill set to get the work done. Initiatives like MFG DAY help bring awareness to the many opportunities out there. And even though MFG DAY take place one day out of the year, its impact has a long-lasting and positive effect on the manufacturing sector.
Here’s additional information from the Manufacturing Day website for parents, students, educators, and businesses:
A.R. Mazzotta’s dedicated Industrial Group understands what’s needed to successfully acquire talent for today’s manufacturing markets. If you’re a CT manufacturer looking for qualified workers, or you’re a skilled employee looking for employment opportunities, connect with one of our recruiting specialists today.