Are you using E-Verify?
If you are unfamiliar with this system, or its potential value to your organization, here is a brief overview:
This U.S. Government’s employment verification service started out as a test exercise known as the Basic Pilot/Employment Eligibility Verification Program. After a period of system testing and debugging, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) offered it as a live service to employers across the country.
Today, E-Verify is a voluntary federal program for employers that validates social security information and employment authorization. Basically, the internet-based service verifies that a new employee is who he says he is and that he has the right to work in this country.
While the program has been the subject of intense scrutiny since its inception, E-Verify provides a number of potential benefits for your organization:
- E-Verify is a free system which allows you to screen out illegal workers. It provides a fast way to find out right away if an employee’s Social Security number and employment eligibility documents are authentic.
- Reduce hiring liability. As the immigration crisis worsens, immigration enforcement actions will continue to intensify and criminal prosecutions for illegal hiring will continue to escalate. By participating in the E-Verify program, and using it in good faith, you establish a rebuttable presumption that you have not knowingly hired an unauthorized alien. Although it does not provide a “get out of jail free” card, it does effectively reduce your hiring liability.
- Discourage illegal workers. If you advertise your participation in the E-Verify program, it’s like posting a “Don’t Even Try It” sign on your front door.
- Level the playing field. In recent decades, employers who played by the rules and only hired legally were at a competitive disadvantage to those who hired illegally. E-Verify can help you turn the tables, by leveraging the public support for employers who hire legally and strengthen their local communities. Furthermore, if you use the E-Verify program in your advertising and PR, you apply pressure to competitors who may not be scrupulous in their hiring to use the system as well.
- Improve business relations. By participating in E-Verify, you demonstrate the value your organization places on integrity. This can help you establish a solid foundation of trust with business partners, clients and vendors alike.
A.R. Mazzotta was founded on the principle of providing employment services of the finest quality and unsurpassed customer service. Uncompromising integrity and the highest professional ethical principles are woven into every aspect of our business. Simply put, we are committed to the communities in which we work and live.
We choose to participate in E-Verify to make staffing simpler and safer for you. When we send you temporary employees, rest assured they are thoroughly screened and authorized to work for your organization. Want to learn more? Contact A.R. Mazzotta today.